These hot chocolate stirrers are great to have on hand when the weather is chilly. The cute little stirrers are so easy to make and you only need two ingredients (plus the sticks). Kids will love mixing these treats into their hot cocoa this winter or on chilly evenings year round!
Hot chocolate is one of my all time favorite drinks. Any time the weather is even a bit cool, I use it as an excuse to make myself a cup of the creamy warm beverage.
While hot chocolate is delicious on it’s own, I love to make additions to it to up the flavor. These chocolate and marshmallow hot chocolate stirrers make my cocoa taste much more rich.
What Are Hot Cocoa Stirrers?
Hot chocolate stirrers are meant to add a bit more flavor to your already made hot chocolate. When you use the stirrer to mix the cocoa, the marshmallows float away as the chocolate on the stick melts. It adds a richer chocolate flavor and extra marshmallows if your mix already has them. Who doesn’t like extra marshmallows?
While you can buy these at the store, you can really personalize them when you make them at home. Although they are great to make for yourself, they also make great gifts that are relatively easy to make!
How To Make Hot Cocoa Stirrers
These sticks are very simple to make. There’s not much preparation involved at all. You only need to follow a few steps.
- Spread dehydrated marshmallows onto a shallow baking dish, large enough to roll sticks in, and set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave chocolate chips in 30 second intervals, stirring in between until smooth. Or, use a chocolate melter.
- Dip each wooden stick in melted chocolate, coating three-quarters of the stick, and gently tap off excess. Allow to dry on wax paper (or plastic wrap or silicone baking mat). If adding a second coat then repeat the chocolate dip.
- Roll in dehydrated mini marshmallows, gently pressing bits to cover all sides. Transfer to wax paper (or plastic wrap or silicone baking mat) to set. If hot or humid, transfer to refrigerator to help set completely.
- When chocolate has hardened, carefully package for gifting or store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
Tips and Tricks
- Change up the flavor. To change up the flavor, you can incorporate peppermint. You can use peppermint sticks in place of the rock candy wooden sticks. You can also crush up peppermint candy to coat on the outside.
- Double coat the sticks with chocolate. This will make the hot chocolate more rich in flavor. Additionally, it will help the marshmallows stick better.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows onto the stick. If you’re having a hard time getting the marshmallows to stay on the stick, sprinkle them on to the stick instead of rolling the stick in the marshmallows.
Other Simple Homemade Treats
Have a little free time and want to make your own DIY treats? Try a few of our other simple recipes for homemade sweets.
- Gummy Candy Kebobs Skewers
- No Bake Cookies With Coconut
- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Hot Chocolate Stirrers
- wooden sticks
- 1 cup chocolate chips about 6 ounces
- 1 cup dehydrated mini marshmallows
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolate chips in 15 to 30 second increments, stirring between each until melted smooth. You can also use a chocolate melter or double boiler to melt the chocolate.
- Spread the dehydrated mini marshmallows onto a shallow pan, large ewnough to roll the sticks in. Line a baking sheet with waxed paper, plastic wrap, or a silicone baking mat. Set both aside.
- Dip each wooden stick into the melted chocolate, coating about three-fourths of the way up. Gently tap off any excess chocolate. Roll on mini marshmallows and gently press to cover all sides. You can also sprinkle on the mini marshmallows if it's easier and less messy for you. Transfer the marshmallow covered stick to the lined baking sheet to set. Repeat process to cover each stick.
- After all the sticks are coated in chocolate and covered with marshmallows, allow them to sit to set. You can speed up the process by placing them in the refrigerator. Chilling in a refrigerator is recommended if it's humid.
- Store the hot chocoate stirrers in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.