If you love chicken and like to save time, you need to try air fryer bbq chicken. This recipe is full of flavor takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Barbecue chicken in air fryer is a great alternative to traditional grilled chicken. This dish is made by air frying meat with a BBQ sauce brushed on after partially cooking the meat. This results in a crispy, juicy chicken that is full of flavor.
This recipe is also perfect for those who are trying to cut down on their intake of unhealthy fats and oils. Are you tired of your chicken always coming out dry and overcooked when you try to grill it? Well, now there is a solution!
You can make the perfect BBQ chicken in air fryer right in your own kitchen. The cooking method uses hot air to cook food, which means that your chicken will be evenly cooked and juicy every time. Plus, it is so quick and easy that you will want to make this your go-to recipe for summer BBQs.
The recipe comes together with just a handful of ingredients.
To make the recipe, you’ll need the following:
- Chicken – use boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thigh meat.
- Seasonings – salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder are rubbed on the meat before cooking.
- BBQ sauce – any style of barbecue sauce can be used. I prefer to use one that is keto-friendly. Homemade BBQ sauce is also a great option.
There are a few steps to follow to get perfectly cooked chicken. First, you’ll preheat the air fryer, then season the chicken, partially cook the chicken, then finish cooking with sauce brush on.
While the air fryer is preheating, combine the seasonings in a small bowl then sprinkle over chicken breast meat (or boneless thigh meat) and rub in to coat.
Place the meat in the air fryer basket and air fry for ten minutes.
Flip each chicken piece and air fry for another five minutes.
Add BBQ sauce
Brush on BBQ sauce of your choice and air fry for another five minutes or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165°F at the center of the thickest part.
- Grease the air fryer basket. A light layer of olive oil or cooking spray on the basket can help prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Use a meat thermometer. Boneless skinless chicken breasts can come become dry and rubbery if overcooked. That’s why it’s important to remove them once fully cooked at 165°F.
- Substitute the chicken breast with thigh meat. Chicken thighs will be more juicy and flavorful than breast meat.
When it comes to air fryer BBQ chicken, there are endless possibilities for serving it up. Whether you keep it simple with just a few dipping sauces on the side, or get creative and pile on the toppings, this dish is sure to be a hit.
I like to serve it with a simple salad and some ranch dressing or BBQ sauce for dipping. For a fun twist, try using air fryer BBQ chicken in tacos or wraps. Top with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and your favorite salsa or guacamole.
Get fancy and You can also dress it up by topping the chicken with some sautéed onions, peppers, and cheese. Then add a side of rice or quinoa.
You’ll find the answers to the most common questions about the recipe here.
Yes, you can put raw chicken in an air fryer. It will cook faster than a traditional oven buy you need to make sure that the chicken is cooked through before eating it.
You should cook chicken in an air fryer for about 15-20 minutes. Chicken thighs will take a little longer to cook than chicken breasts.
Yes, you can flip chicken in an air fryer. Just be careful not to overcrowd the basket and to use tongs or a spatula to avoid burning yourself.
Want some more simple air fryer recipes? Try one of these delicious bites next time.
- Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken is a similar recipe that uses an Asian style sauce.
- Steak Tips in Air Fryer come out juicy inside and crisp on the outside.
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets recipe is a quick and easy way to get dinner cooked fast.
- Roast Beef in Air Fryer is a faster cooking method than traditional oven roasting.
- Marinated Chicken In Air Fryer makes a tasty dinner on busy weeknights.
Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Breasts
- 1 air fryer
- 4 medium chicken breasts skinless and boneless
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup BBQ sauce I used G Hughes Smokehouse Sugar-Free Original to make it keto-friendly
- olive oil or avocado oil to grease air fryer basket
- If needed, preheat air fryer to 360°F. Brush a light coating of oil on the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Coat chicken pieces with seasoning mix.
- Place seasoned chicken into prepared air fryer basket. Air fry for 10 minutes.
- Flip chicken pieces and air fry for another 5 minutes.
- Brush BBQ sauces over both sides of each chicken piece. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F at the center of the thickest piece. Remove from air fryer and allow to rest for a couple minutes before slicing.