The dream of a simple life is attractive to many people. Amidst the current reality, many wonder how to life a simple life and be happy with the pressures of work, home life, and social obligations. Imagine if there was a way to trim the excess and spend more time doing the things that you love!
Living simply generally means prioritizing what’s really important and being intentional with your time and space. It doesn’t mean you have to go full minimalist, but having fewer material possessions reducing your overspending can certainly help!
By simplifying your life, you can achieve a sense of peace and contentment that you may never have experienced before. Find out what it takes to start living a simple life in a modern world.
When it comes to living simple, decluttering a home leads the way. At its core, decluttering is about getting rid of the things that are either unused or no longer needed.
Afterall, there’s no need to keep anything that isn’t essential. By decluttering, you’ll free up valuable space in your home and be more organized. You can even start with decluttering the garage.
Here are some methods for decluttering:
- Begin with just 5 minutes a day. If you are new to decluttering, take small steps and work up to larger projects.
- Take the 12-12-12 challenge. Enter a room or check a cabinet. Find 12 items to dispose of, 12 items to donate, and 12 items that need to be returned to their proper place.
- Use the Four-Box method. Identify the items in your home that you can discard, give away, keep, or relocate. Label four boxes and sort through each item in your home to decide where to place it. This may be a long-term project, so don’t rush it.
- Give one item away each day. If you give away just one item every day, in a year’s time you will have given away 365 items that you no longer need. But if one item a day overwhelms you, why not try one item a week?
- Sell items for extra case. Participate in a local yard sale or charity auction, or sell goods through online marketplaces.
- Recycle or repurpose your items. You can re-use plastic bottles as plant pots, or make bags, aprons, skirts, and patchwork quilts from old clothing or jeans.
Simplify your life
Simplification is the process of removing the unessential so that the necessary may speak.
It can be something as small as choosing one or two activities to focus on and simplifying everything else. Or it could be more comprehensive, such as eliminating all distractions from your life and focusing on just one task at a time.
The goal of a simple lifestyle is to reduce the number of things you worry about. This allows you to spend more time on living a simple life and being happy.
Here are six simple living tips:
1. Create a simple daily routine that accomplishes your goals. This will help to reduce the amount of time spent trying to figure out what to do next and will also help you avoid distractions.
2. Set realistic expectations for yourself and don’t overdo it. Stop assuming that in order to feel successful, you need a specific result. Work at your own pace.
3. Streamline and declutter your wardrobe. Clothing choice is something we do every day. To make the process simpler and more efficient, streamline your wardrobe and declutter your clothes. Choose items you love, you wear often, and can be mixed and matched with the rest of your wardrobe.
4. Own fewer things. To simplify your lifestyle, reduce your possessions. A large accumulation of possessions can drain your time and energy and weigh heavy on your heart.
5. Set your priorities straight. Clarifying what matters most to you — and allocating time and resources accordingly — can help you get the most out of your day.
6. Simplify your finances. Regularly review your monthly income and expenses. Focus money on savings, reduce unnecessary spending, and pay off debts.
Organize your space
If you want to know how to live simply, organization is key to having a tidy and functional space. You must learn how to organize your belongings and create a system that works for you.
According to Clutterbug, there are several organizing styles:
- Ladybug: They may appear clean and tidy on the outside, but in reality, they struggle to stay organized. Pretty baskets and a scheduled time for organizing things will help a ladybug organizer.
- Bee: They have several projects going on simultaneously — sometimes leaving these out to be seen by others. Project boxes and peg boards are ideal for this organizing style.
- Cricket: They enjoy making their belongings as well-organized and meticulous (even perfect!) as possible. A labeler is a cricket’s best friend! However, they could accomplish more if they were less perfectionistic.
- Butterfly: They love to have quick and easy access to their favorite things. Open shelving with clear containers is typically the best option for them.
Once you have determined your organizing style that works well with your lifestyle, you can easily organize all your stuff and start living a simple life in a modern world.
Choosing to live minimally can be an incredibly liberating experience. You can be freed from the burden of owning things you don’t use or enjoy. It’s also a great way to save money and reduce your environmental impact.
Here are six practical tips for living minimally, simple, and happy:
1. Choose the things you love and use them often. If something doesn’t bring you joy, it’s probably not worth owning or using. After all, how can you live a simpler life and be happy with things that you don’t want or even need anymore?
2. Don’t be afraid to let go of possessions. If it no longer serve your needs or doesn’t fit into your lifestyle, just let go. The more stuff you have, the more storage space you’re taking up and the more waste you’re creating.
3. Familiarize yourself with thrift stores, garage sales, and consignment shops in your area. This way you can easily sell or give away your unused items.
4. Be a re-user. A minimalist lifestyle requires a bit of creativity! Find ways to reuse what you have rather than buy new items.
5. Be content and grateful for what you have. Living simply is about being content with what you have and not needing more even in today’s modern life.
6. Choose high-quality items that will last. It might be better to have a minimalist home filled with top-notch quality items that make you happy and inspired than having a cluttered home that doesn’t.
Create a routine
Creating a routine can be difficult at first. But once you find one that works for you, it can really help boost your overall emotional well being. So find a system that fits your lifestyle and stick to it.
Here are some tips on how to live a simple life and be happy by creating a routine:
- Identify your current challenges. One of the most important steps in creating a routine that works for you is to identify your habits and behaviors. Separate the good habits from the bad and then make note of what you need to change.
- Begin by thinking about what you enjoy doing most in life. This is key because if something is enjoyable for you, chances are you’ll be more likely to stick with it.
- List down your tasks. Make a list of all the responsibilities you need to accomplish daily. Include both your work and personal tasks in the list.
- Structure your day. Think of the tasks you need to complete, and schedule them accordingly. For example, if you are most creative in the mornings, schedule important work to be done then.
- Start slowly but surely. In the beginning, keep your daily routine as simple as possible. By focusing on a few habits at first, you won’t feel overwhelmed when something unexpected happens in the day.
Have a positive attitude
Positive attitude is the key to a happier life with less stress and better physical health. Simple living is a choice and you should be happy with the decision you’ve made.
It can be difficult to maintain a positive outlook when faced with difficult challenges, but it is worth it. This small shift is often the best place to start when learning how to live a simple life and be happy!
Here are six tips to help you develop and maintain a positive attitude:
1. Taking time for yourself every day is important for self care. Be sure to schedule in some time for activities that make you happy, such as reading, going for walks, or spending time with loved ones. A self care Sunday is great for your mental health!
2. Focus on the good in life. Look for the silver lining in every situation and remember all the blessings in your life. This will help put things into perspective and make you happier overall.
3. Let go of negative thoughts and emotions. When you’re feeling down, don’t get stuck in your sadness or frustration. Process those feelings, then release them and focus on the positives in your life.
4. Surround yourself with people who love you. Having a support system is so important! Spend quality time with people who are uplifting and have similar interests and passions.
5. Be kind to other people. Volunteer your time and talents to a cause that is meaningful to you. A sense of fulfillment and happiness can come from helping others.
6. Accept that you are not perfect. Everyone makes mistakes and it’s important to be patient and loving with yourself, too.
FAQs on simple living
If you don’t see your question answered below, don’t be afraid to let us know in the comments!
Where are the best locations to live a simpler life?
There is no single answer for where to move for a slow and simple living. However, there are many factors to consider when figuring out your personal, perfect place to live simply. Some people find simplicity amid a rich social life, while others find it in the peace of a serene environment.
It depends on your values and preferences. Common elements include environmental and economic sustainability, happiness, and fulfillment. Many agree that minimizing your environmental impact, finding your purpose, and living close to your loved ones are the top three considerations when deciding where to live.
How do I simplify my life?
Simplifying your life doesn’t necessarily mean that you must move to a remote location and avoid the company of others. imple living can be as easy as streamlining your possessions and spending only what you need to live comfortably. The peace and contentment that comes from a simpler lifestyle can enrich your outlook on life, enabling you to focus more on the things that are important to you.
Is it possible to live a simple life in a modern world?
A simpler life, free of distractions and complications, is a life that focuses more on what is important to the person living it. Thus, it is possible to use modern technology while living simpler, slower, and less complicated lives. As long as you teach yourself the skills or values you need, you can live simply in this modern world.
Other Articles You May Be Interested In
If you enjoyed reading about simplifying your life, check the following articles on simple living as well: