If you love salmon, then you’ll love this smoked salmon frittata! It’s a delicious and easy way to enjoy this popular fish any time of day.
A Frittata is an Italian omelet that is filled with any number of ingredients. The most popular frittata is the ham and cheese frittata, but you can fill them with anything you like. Frittatas are a great way to use up leftovers, and they are perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch.
This recipe combines smoked fish with eggs, creamy goat cheese, and vegetables, making it a hearty and delicious breakfast or lunch option. The combination of ingredients gives the dish so much flavor!
A frittata recipe is a delicious and easy way to use up leftover smoked salmon. This breakfast dish can be made with just a few simple ingredients, including eggs, smoked salmon, and cheese.
Smoked salmon is used but you can used cooked fresh salmon instead. Leftovers work perfectly in the recipe.
You’ll need plenty of eggs as the recipe calls for a full dozen.
Any type of milk can be used but whole milk isn’t recommended for those watching their carb intake. Almond milk or coconut milk are preferred for those on a keto diet.
Baby spinach leaves are the veggie of choice but you can substitute with another vegetable. Chopped kale or broccoli are great too.
Crumbled soft goat’s cheese is called for in the recipe. But you can substitute with cream cheese for a cheaper every day option.
The egg filling includes refreshing dill, and green spring onions which are sautéed in olive oil before blending in. It’s rounded out with with salt and pepper.
Note: The full list of ingredients, including the amounts use are in the recipe card at the end of this post.
It doesn’t take much time to make this recipe. Just follow these simple step-by-step instructions.
You’ll want tot preheat the oven to 375°F so it’s nice and hot when it’s time to bake the frittata.
Prep egg mix
While heating up the oven-safe frying pan (a cast iron skillet is the perfect baking pan), I like to get the egg mixture ready. You just need to whisk the eggs together with the milk of choice in a large mixing bowl then stir in the dill, salt and pepper. Then set aside.
Start by sautéing green onions with garlic in a little bit of oil over medium-high heat until fragrant. Then add the baby spinach and sauté until wilted.
Reduce to medium low heat and spread the spinach out in the pan. Then top it evenly with the salmon pieces and pour the egg mixture over. Top with the cheese and cook until the eggs begin to set along the sides.
The final step is to transfer the skillet baking dish to the preheated oven and bake until the center of the frittata is firm.
- Use baking dish that can also be used on the stovetop. An enameled cast iron pan works well. If you don’t have an oven safe skillet, you can cook the vegetables on the stovetop first and then top with salmon, egg mixture, and cheese then finish in the oven.
- Substitute milk with heavy cream. The high fat content in cream will make the frittata extra fluffy.
- Use low heat for eggs. To prevent the bottom of the frittata from burning and sticking to the pan, use a low heat after adding the egg mixture and keep cooking time to a minimum.
The smoked salmon frittata is perfect for a quick and easy breakfast or lunch, and it can also be served as a light dinner. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh herbs on top.
Frittata is also a popular dish for Mother’s Day or Sunday brunch. Just be sure to serve it warm. If you’re a fish lover, you can pair it with a smoked trout dip.
Smoked salmon is a type of salmon that has been cured and smoked. It is often eaten on bagels or in salads.
Smoked salmon is salmon that has been cured and smoked. This gives it a smoky flavor and a slightly tougher texture. Regular salmon is not smoked, and has a softer texture.
A frittata is an Italian omelette-like dish made with eggs, cheese, and vegetables.
Looking for more easy dinner ideas that are also keto-friendly? Take a look at some of our other recipes.
- Marinated chicken in air fryer
- Keto shrimp fried rice
- Gluten-free green bean casserole
- Ground turkey chili
Smoked Salmon Frittata
- 12 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions trimmed and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- 8 ounces smoked salmon skin removed and roughly chopped
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk the eggs and milk in a large bowl, then stir in the dill, pepper, and the salt.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the oil and swirl to coat. Add the green onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Decrease heat slightly. Spread the spinach out and top evenly with the salmon. Pour egg mixture over the top. Then top evenly with the cheese. Increase the heat slightly and cook, undisturbed, until the sides begin to set, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until the center of the frittata is firm. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.